Macrame is knot weaving, the popularity of which lies in its accessibility, the lack of complex tools and equipment. Today, the art of knot weaving is enjoying a new wave of popularity. We can thank for this trendy stylistic interior trends: scandi, boho, eco. It is in such interiors that the panel in the macrame technique has become a bright, organic and desirable detail.
The main “tool of production” in macrame – the hands of the master (and more often – the craftswoman). Today macrame is considered a trend of handmade in interior decor. The essence of the technique is to weave knots, or from cord, or from suitable thick threads. The knots are made into different patterns.
In the Soviet Union, macrame was especially popular in the 70’s and 80’s. Needlewoman weaved collars, earmuffs, made cachepots, rugs and even bedspreads. In schools there were clubs, schemes were printed in Soviet magazines – fashionable needlework was gaining momentum.
What is made in this technique today:
- panels and cachepots;
- curtains for windows;
- curtains for doorways;
- chair seats;
- cushion covers;
- screens, and more.
They also make large (actually monumental) works that can safely be called works of art. With the help of macramé create elegant decor for weddings in the style of boho. In short, it is a very rich technique, which is in demand and, by all appearances, is not going to give up positions.
What is made of what?
For macramé it is possible to use threads, different in thickness and twist. If you need to weave pendants and pendants, suitable threads are muline, kapron and cotton. From the medium-thick rope really weave a beautiful banding for a bottle or jar.
But thicker threads are used for panels, rugs, runners on the table, all sorts of coasters. In the picture you can weave feathers and beads, various decorative inclusions, preferably of a natural nature, such as wooden elements of various shapes.
What is used for weaving the panel:
- cords, different in thickness;
- thick threads of cotton;
- plain clothesline;
- cords of kapron;
- sisal of various colors;
- flat braid;
- fishing line of different thicknesses;
- jute fiber;
- plant fibers;
- knitted yarn.
The material must be quite strong, but at the same time – malleable to weaving. It must fit the model and the theme of the performance. Naturally, the quality of the material is important, as well as the correspondence of the color to the stated. Threads need to be stiff and twisted, because without this you won’t get a normal knot. Stiff yarns, by the way, can be softened.
Starts macramé training by getting acquainted with the technologies – the basic patterns of knot weaving. The main knots in macrame are four.
The fixing knot. With this knot begins each work. Working threads are to be secured on the main one.
Flat. This is the main macrame knot, he learned to weave the first.
Repsovy. Can, like flat, be vertical and horizontal. A chain of such knots is called a bride.
Square. It is an alternation of right-hand and left-hand flat knots.
First, you need to work out all the basic elements from the schemes, understand their specifics, “stuff” your hand. Then you can begin to weave a specific product. Naturally, it should be as simple as possible.
With their own hands, you can make a modest work (like fluffy leaves or banding for an Easter egg) or a more complex composition.
Here are some ideas for beginners:
- Macramé owl. This is a very popular product, the technique of weaving which involves many interesting variations. There are quite simple schemes that produce small compositions. There are colorful models with inserts of wood or feathers. The eyes of the owl are always woven in a ring, which is what attracts this model.
- Wood in a ring. Weave such a work is not difficult, and looks in the interior it is very elegant. Completion to such a tree can be fluffy leaves that “grow” out of the ring.
- Wall panel with a combination of braid, lace, plaits. That is, in addition to weaving, thin ribbons, braid, lace inserts, braids woven from yarn are also fixed to the working base (branch). This is popular in the boho style. Making such items involves a lot of nice impromptu.
- Panneau with shelves. It is made a little more difficult, but with step-by-step instructions you can manage. Instead of the standard boring shelf – wicker construction, which looks very gentle and unobtrusive.
- A panel complete with a cradle and a curtain for the window. For a regular interior, this may be too active, but for a gentle boho style nursery – very harmonious. Only the nursery should be quite spacious, as in a small room a lot of yarn is not quite right (a lot of dust will accumulate on it).
- The panel with the symbol of the year. And every new year it can change – the woven rat will be replaced by another animal that symbolizes the year according to the Eastern calendar. Simply figurine of the animal you need to weave separately and make a removable part.
- Panneau of old things. This is an idea for those who cannot part with favorite things that you can no longer wear, but want to keep as a memory. They can be cut into strips and used as yarn. You get a special panel with memories.